Monday, April 19, 2010

Sensational Finale to 2009/10 season!!!


Gidday Team!

WOW! Our event at the ITM Hamilton 400 was well worth the wait!

It all started when young Ethan and Chris appeared front page of the local paper in a stealth, very fine looking silver SS - all ready for a rip roaring time on Saturday the 17th April. They both claimed they were so excited that they didn't think they'd be able to sleep on the Friday night!

Well, it appears Ethan at least was correct! According to his Mum he was awake every couple of hours through the whole night asking if it was time to go yet. Finally, at 6:45am, our day began.

Five Rotorua young people along with their parent each climbed aboard the mighty Transit and headed for the streets of Hamilton where we met up with two other kids, one from Tauranga, and one from Hamilton - each accompanied by their Dads.

We had a brilliant drive over and the organisers of the ITM Hamilton 400 had made it easy for the group to be as close to the gate as possible.

After we had got through the gate and all the kids were in their tees, we began our trek over to meet up with some of the V8 Supercar teams. On our way we were lucky enough to have a pit tour of Garth Tander's pits which was not planned but a very welcome addition to the tour! The kids were blown away when they were allowed to actually sit in the car. The photos say it all - man alive did that put some smiles on dials. Very lucky indeed!

In our theme of 'too cool for school', we then popped in to see Jason Richards who has hosted KPH kids in previous years. The kids loved meeting Jase and again secured bragging rights with all the necessary photos and autographs. Jason and Team BOC were fantastic with the kids and made them feel right at home in V8 Supercar Rev Head Heaven.

Now armed with lots of technical data, some cool posters, photos and autographs we added to our experience by meeting up with Fabian Coulthard where the kids got to see his car up close and personal and collected the prized autographs and photos with the man himself. The kids all grabbed a 'Fabian' mask on the way out the door and we had some mandatory photos taken with them on - see our gallery!

We thanked David Ridden who had organised these pit tours and hosted us throughout that whole time - and a few of us checked out his very cool watch!!!

It was Hot Chips O'clock for most of our kids and we all decided on some morning tea. We talked and laughed about the kids (and parents) experiences in the pits and the kids all did their 'Fabs' impression which everyone thought was a huge laugh. Awesome masks!

Before we knew it, it was time to hike off again back to the V8 Supercar pits where we entered the Gulf Western pits to see Daniel Gaunt's ride. Andrew who hosted us here was incredibly thorough with his explanations and the parents all commented on how much they learnt and how much they'd enjoyed learning it. Again the cameras were out in force capturing the ever lasting memories of what had become an exciting, action packed day.

Minor drama with one of my kids who needed medical attention, and - Murphy's Law states that I hadn't brought my first aid kit with me! The only time I've needed it in three seasons! However, thanks to the great number of St John's professionals on hand - we had young Hamish sorted in no time and back to the group patiently waiting in pit lane.

Lunch time! We walked around to the 'Village Green' where there was a plentiful supply of options for our rumbling tums. Due to some of the kids special needs, I'd made sure they had permission to bring their own food in and we all enjoyed a giant picnic lunch amongst all the other enthusiastic race fans. We watched a couple of the races and on-track action like the stunt bikes, on the BIG screen while we were eating - it was great.

As we were enjoying lunch one of my adorable past KPH kids tracked me down and we had a heart lifting reunion. His Mum and Dad told me he still (after eighteen months) 'rings' me everyday on his pretend phone to ask me how I'm doing and tell me about what he's been up to. I was so humbled I nearly cried. The truth is I think about him all the time too, I never forget them, and being able to keep in touch is just fantastic - I love hearing all about how they are getting on and what they have been up to. Some of the kids I've formed strong connections with and they always know they mean a lot to me. I was thrilled to see you my adorable wee Angel. You were the icing on the cake xxx

Time for the simulators!!! WINTEC allowed us to line the kids up in a row and race each other at 'Bathurst' - they loved it! The operators were encouraging the kids all the time and championing them on with their battle of Mt Panorama. And to top it off they were all given a prize for their efforts. Very cool part of our day and we thanked the crew for their time and help before heading off to the merchandise alley.

Here the group had a bit of free time, meandering through the crowds busily trying things on, pulling out the wallet and purchasing their favourite merchandise - sporting big grins as they exited with their shopping bags.

The one thing that always stands out is that everyone is happy, everyone is excited and because of that the atmosphere is just amping with great vibes.

By now it was getting close to the V8 Supercars race and we decided we had better begin our walk over to our viewing platform. When we got there, it was packed - everyone was eagerly awaiting the roar of the big V8's.

We all found a spot that worked for us and for me and four of the kids that meant sitting right at the front on the ground. They wanted to be as close as possible.

The kids jumped and waved and shouted at the drivers they had spent the day meeting, geeing them up telepathically with positive, race formula authenticity. I smiled and laughed a lot listening to their words of wisdom.

Before we knew it, it was time to say our goodbyes to our friends who had joined us from Tauranga and Hamilton, and board the Transit once more for what would be a fun trip home. We enjoyed it right to the minute we pulled up home.

Ethan very excitedly asked me "Can I keep my [KPH] tee shirt?" - gorgeous.

"OF COURSE" I beamed "It's YOURS my friend, you hang it up on your wall".

Everyone was buzzing about their day and they all said it was way more than they were expecting. Kids and parents alike were flat out reflecting on their day. What a priceless feeling for them. The group had meshed so well they'd all had an absolute ball of a time.

What a way to end our season. On a real high. We are celebrating achieving two major goals for the 2009/10 season:

* To see the number of young people through the programme rise to one hundred, and;

* To see Project KPH operating internationally - with our trip to Bathurst in October last year

So I want to thank you - our supporters, for your shared vision and genuine interest in helping us to achieve bringing the live race track experience to kids less advantaged who just want to be included. Thank you for helping us to reach 101 young people nationwide who now have memories for life, of a day that has inspired trust, friendship, learning, and self worth.

Even as I write this, I am both deeply humbled and moved to think that the Project can produce such a meaningful experience for a fellow human being who in some cases has trod an enduring, heartbreaking journey. And while we cannot re-write history, we have the power to create something very special for today - and provide a sense of purpose and value.

My heartfelt thanks to all of our loyal supporters. With your help we've changed lives.

I hope you can be proud of your part in that reality.

Shake n Bake!

Leah xxx
p.s. I seem to have omitted the part where I stalled the Transit. I mean, we all know how hard it is to stall a diesel right? That's some serious skill right there ... hardly wanted to brag ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - 101th through the program now!!! You are a champion of making possible that elusive connection between others' dreams and their reality. Keep it up! As Churchill once wrote: “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give”. ;)

Leah Evans said...

Thanks Matthew!

It's been a thoroughly rewarding ride, even including the rough spots.

One thing I know I have eliminated from my potential regrets late in life - is that I'm not going to have to wonder, what it's like to give this much, and how much that actually means.

But as I have always maintained, it takes many resources to create an experience like this. And I am afraid I am not a famous race car driver!

Our day is as great as it is because of a core group of people who share the same vision, empathy and passion.

I love the quote - you knew I would! I believe in that 100%.

"Life is not about what we get, it is about what we give, and the quality of that which we give." Leah Evans! LOL

Thank you xxx