Monday, March 22, 2010

Terrific Taupo!!!

Hi Team,

what can I say? Taupo was TERRIFIC and delivered the KPH kids some hearty smiles, new friends and an unexpected motor racing legend.

The event got off to a very special start with two of the KPH kids who joined us from Western Heights High School in Rotorua - photographed along with myself and appeared front page of the local paper on the Friday. Rockstars!!!

Saturday morning was a tad cool pre lights on! However, nothing that a large coffee on the way of town didn't fix. Alesha and I got to the track at around 8:20am and we began to set up camp at the gate and await the arrival of eight very excited KPH kids.

The kids all arrived one by one wearing large smiles. We introduced the group and the kids all got kitted out in their KPH tees.

As a group we then moved off to our first meeting, Simon & Colin McLennan. Once again the kids were totally thrilled to see their names on both rear sides of the GT3 Porsche and the Project KPH logo sitting proudly beside them. The kids were allowed to sit in Simon's car and they were very happy about that! Simon handed out cool caps and autographed them along with the kids tees. The kids all had photos with Simon and the parents and caregivers were busily taking snapshots of everything before them.

We thanked our friends Simon & Colin and wished them well for a fantastic weekends racing.

Off we trotted to the food stalls. The kids and parents/caregivers hooked into some prized hot dogs & chips and we decided to take our snacks to the wee grandstand to eat them so we could catch the on-track action before our next meeting.

Low and behold, as we were walking through the pits to the grandstand I ran into my mate Murph! I asked Murph if he could meet up with us later so the kids could meet him. About half an hour later I got the call and we were off like robber's dogs to our meeting. The kids couldn't believe it!!! And not to mention some blown away parents and caregivers! Murph autographed all the kids tees, hats, jackets (and anything else they could find!), and the kids and parents/caregivers had photos with him too. We were very grateful to the busy man for spending the time that he did with us and the KPH kids walked away on about cloud 30!!!

Next we made our way back through the pits to Simon Sceats and his team where the kids checked out his Subaru, engaged the much sought after xBox 360 console, had autographs and photos and collected some cool wee gifts too. The kids and parents/caregivers asked plenty of questions about the car and as always Simon and his team made their experience totally interactive for them. We thanked Simon and wished him well for the final races of the championship and made our way back to the wee grandstand where the kids all put on a show for the drivers by doing a Mexican wave each time they went past.

The KPH kids all got on very well. It was a fantastic group with an awesome sync and even kids that I had been advised would probably be quite reticent due to their special need/s, were having an absolute ball and fully engaging in the experience. It was just super to watch. There were some cool activities for the kids like the giant blow up slide and the mechanical bull. I challenged the kids to a 'slide off' and we had so much fun racing up and down that slide! Then THEY challenged me to the mechanical bull ride.... "Game On" was my reply!

Checking my watch I realised it was nearly lunch o'clock and we gathered the troops to head down to the pits again to meet with Triple X. We met up with the crew and the kids were challenged to guess 'which driver went with which car' which they really enjoyed. They all received a cap for their efforts and we moved into the dining area for a yummy lunch. Triple X have provided lunch for all our groups this season and its always a highlight of the kids day. Especially the Chuppa Chups! The kids met with Dan Gaunt and collected his autograph on their tees. By now their tees were looking very impressive! One of my wee mates said to me:

"Isn't this area just for the teams? Like we're not really allowed in here are we?"
"You are today my darling ... you're special to these guys" I replied, to which he beamed with pride.

We thanked Mike Morton and his crew for their hospitality. With full tummies and sporting large smiles, we moved off to meet with Johnny Mac and his NZV8.

The KPH kids were welcomed into the JMR pits and taught all sorts of technical data about the car, different parts - how they function and why. The kids all listened with much interest. Johnny was impressed at lots of suggestions that the kids made about modifying the car to carry rocket boosters and all sorts of other gadgets which were sounding more and more James Bond by the second! These kids were really interested in everything they heard and saw and as always Team JMR were great hosts. Johnny autographed the kids tees and caps and the kids had photos too. They were well impressed with the big V8 machine and heartily thanked Johnny and his team for their time, and wished him well for the much anticipated qualifying session.

By now it was just after 2pm and I could see the kids were getting quite tired. They'd had a huge day full of sensory stimulation and although on a high, were also a bit worn out. We decided to all move back to the wee grandstand and take it from there.

A couple of the kids shortly after decided to head home, which was understandable as some of them had been up very early and travelled decent hikes to be there. BUT before they left, some of them wanted a few more photos together with Alesha and I - me in my racing suit!!! AND it was the FIRST time in three seasons I have been asked for MY autograph!!! Which I found really cute but fessed up to the kids that it probably wasn't worth a lot!

The kids that had challenged me to the mechanical bull ride then piped up and to my word I got ready to accept the challenge.

Well, much to the kids and operators amusement, it didn't get me off. They had to stop it as there were people waiting! When I got off I told the operator that I had ridden horses for years as a kid and some of them carried on like that so I was well equipped to handle the jandal. He replied "Yeah I thought you looked like a farm girl" - what the?! Its not like I rocked up in my Red Bands!

The kids had a turn too and we then moved back to the grandstand. I was impressed that some of the kids lasted till around 5pm, they really were very tired. But so happy.

After we said our final goodbyes and we walked back to the car, I reflected on what an awesome day we'd had. The kids really got on, what a great bunch of kids. They were buzzing about all of it and I've heard from some of the parents already to tell me the kids can't stop talking about it!

And that is what it is all about. Giving these kids who are less advantaged than most the opportunity to realise they have value in this community. That they CAN exercise their interest in the sport in a safe, encouraging and interactive way. They take away new skills, and a massive boost to their self esteem. And that is an absolute honour to me. You see a lot of these kids learn not to trust, a lot of them have horrific stories to tell. When you can create an environment where you can help another human being feel such a sense of belonging, such a sense of trust and faith in people - it is an incredible honour and privilege.

My thanks goes out to all our wonderful sponsors and contributors for making this day possible for these very cool and deserving kids:

* John McIntyre Racing
* The MAD Butcher
* Dabhand webdesign
* Orange Dog
* Embroidery Works
* The Motorsport Company

Simon and Colin McLennan, Simon Sceats and the CREW, Triple X Motorsport, Johnny Mac, Greg Murphy and my trusty 2IC Alesha Morris.

Where to from here?

Our last event is the Hamilton 400.

Bring it ON!!!

Meantime, take care out there.

Shake & Bake.

Leah xo

No comments: